Saturday, January 31, 2026

January Tid Bits

 Now that church is at 11:00 am, when Brent has meetings afterwards and we all know we aren't eating until 5:00 pm we run through the McDonalds on the way home for nuggets. Something about it just feels so good! I know Brent knows, but it still feels like our dirty little secret- haha!


Gita has been choosing high school electives and extracurriculars this month! It's not quite so exciting when we insist she takes Spanish and Choir because that fills her schedule right up. She decided to take on AP Human Geography as well after a pretty impressive presentation by the teacher and her students.

Gita also tried her hand and cooking up the chocolate croissants from Trader Joes- YUM!

Me: I realized something about myself! I don't know if you've noticed but now and again I whine?
Gita: Yeah I've noticed. 
Me: Okayyyyy... anyway, the reason I do is because I wasn't allowed to as a child. My Dad would have smacked me upside the head and my Mom would threaten to have my Dad smack me upside the head. So every now and again it just feels good to whine.
Gita: I thought you whined because you were on your period.

I flew United to South Carolina to watch Madeleine while Tim & Whitney were at a wedding. Brent and I were re-thinking our Admiral's Club membership since it is a pretty penny. One trip to O'Hare without it and I told him it is definitely worth it! Count up the luggage fees ($40 each way), having to grab food, purchasing Wifi... you pay one way or another and the savings to do it on the cheap just isn't worth it! I didn't even get to walk down the Hall of Flags. I walked a short hall of blue orbs instead.

Totally worth it to hang out with this girl and her little girl! It was a lovely mental reset right in the middle of midwinter!

With Trumps threats to take over Greenland I pulled out my Danish krone earrings as a silent protest.

Amazing sunrise over the city on a cold, cold day!



Liesel was feeling some David Bowie and I think she did an amazing job recreating the look!

Brent and I snuck in a little lunch date with her between classes.

My mother bought this elephant in South Africa and she used it as a little stand for a plant. The legs were uneven and she tried putting felt protector pads on the shorter side but they were a bit big since the legs aren't perfectly round. It had also been knocked around quite a bit in moving and storage and I really wanted to spruce it up. What was supposed to be a 15 min project stretched into multiple days but in the end it is level, there are custom-cut felt pads on each of the legs and it's been restained back to a beautiful ebony. 

Gita gave me a stank look when I put on this hat Sydney and I picked up from an estate sale.

Me: What? I think I look aswesome and I look like a Russian oligarch's wife.
Gita: Those two things can't be the same thing.

I had Ireland drive to the mall. After painstakingly guiding her through the on ramps, freways (yes MULTIPLE) and parking on the upper level, I was feeling like a good Mom. She hopped out of the car and said, "You know who's great a teaching you how to drive? WHITNEY!"

The girls had cleaned out their closets and I was on a mission to fill in any wardrobe blanks with some shopping. We managed to grab lunch at Zupas which is a favorite spot whenever we're near the Woodfield Mall.


And that was January!

No comments: