Monday, February 07, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Liesel has wanted her own credit card for quite some time now. Brent and I put as many expenses as possible on our credit cards to earn frequent flier miles. We've found it's also easier to track and categorize our spending. I guess because of that practice, my little girl became fascinated with the many times I've pulled out my card, swiped it and signed on the electronic pad. Now when we approach a check out, she asks for her credit card. In the past I gave her my Panera rewards card, but I think she had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't real.

For Family Home Evening we decided to get our library cards. The Schaumburg Public Library is a five-star library. No lie. I didn't even know libraries were rated! There's a deli/coffee shop as you walk in. One of the rooms has comfy seats and a fireplace! Story time takes place in "The Enchanted Forest" which is a section of the children's area (which is the size of a regular library). They have tons of programs for all ages and even meeting rooms. It's definitely a nice library.

The only downside is getting a card is harder than being accepted into the FBI. I figured we could gather all the required information and get it taken care of in one fell swoop. With our lease agreement, bill with the new address, and random piece of mail we were approved to check out materials (phew!). The woman processing our information asked if we wanted a card for Liesel. Since a card is also required to play with any toys on the premesis (ie Thomas the Engine trains are not sitting out on the large train table), I figured it would be a good idea.

Oh my. When Liesel found out she was getting her own (credit) card she danced like a dervish. The fact the card has her picture on it is even more amazing because it really and truly is HERS! She was so giddy with joy about it they had to take her picture 4 times because they were all coming out blurry. I love that the fish face one is the keeper. When that woman handed Liesel her (credit) card she was happier than a pig at slop. Even she obliged Liesel's fantasy in saying she was glad to help process her 'credit card.' The other card processing people left their desks to come over and hear Liesel rhapsodize. As we walked out, she flashed it to everyone (seriously, EVERYONE) and loudly announced it was her credit card. Liesel carried it around all night and I thought I'd have to rip it out of her hands while she was sleeping. If she loses it, I have to sell her to the library or something like that. I have a feeling she'll keep a close eye on it though.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Good luck reigning that one in!!! I hope the card comes with visits to prisons, a library "scared straight" kinda deal. As Spiderman's uncle once said, "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Laney said...

That's just awesome! Her face in the picture is priceless. The joys of being so easily pleased.

Chelsea said...

SCHAUMBURG!?!?!?! girl, you are IN my old back yard! i was in schaumburg stake until i was 5. where are you living now? we lived in elgin. anyway, the library i went to as a kid had those bubble windows, overlooking the fox river.