Sunday, March 16, 2014

Church at the Alexandra Branch

Although we didn't strategically plan it this way, going to church the day after we arrived was rather brilliant. Everyone was still jet-lagged and being in a foreign country always takes some adjustment. It was so nice to have something familiar in the mix. 

Mom and Dad mentioned the branch where they attend church is in a rather gritty area. We quickly learned the difference between a "township" which has actual buildings and a "settlement" which looks something like this:


In my mind, I'd wanted the girls to catch a glimpse of poverty so they could more fully understand how truly rich we are in blessings. I thought I'd seen poverty when I served my mission in east L.A. oh so many years ago. However, the amount and severity of the poverty around Johannesburg took my breath away. I ached when I saw children moving in and out of those corrugated tin shacks. I found myself wanting to shield the girls' eyes from it all. 

Church was located just beyond this shantytown in rented schoolrooms. As bleak a view as we had just had, it changed a bit when the members started to arrive. Most of them walked and they were dressed in their very best, ready to worship and learn more of Christ. 

 Can you see Little Miss Brigitta wandering around the courtyard?
 Let's take a closer look:
She was pleased as punch to discover that if she fussed, she wasn't exiled to a boring, cold, church lobby. She could play in the dirt and sunshine! Brigitta particularly loved church.
Our church location may have been different, but the hymns were the same, the lesson was from the same manual, the sacrament was the same, and I was filled with a sense of home. One of the men who blessed the sacrament was blind, so he did the prayer from memory. Chills ran through me with his humble, sincere manner. Our Gospel Doctrine teacher was excellent. One thing that is universal in the church is there is never enough time to cover everything in the lesson.
Brent was especially impressed with the brethren. Many wards have a very strong sisterhood but here the brethren were just as numerous and just as strong. 
 Liesel and Ireland loved Primary. There was a girl named Tato who was just between their ages. Grandma played the music so she was able to watch over them and noted Tato loved touching Ireland's hair. 
 Being welcomed with the Hello, Hello song. 

Although everyone spoke English, it was British English and by the end of church I had a slight headache trying to translate what they were saying into something that made sense to me. Mom and Dad smiled at me and assured me I would develop an ear for it. This all took me back to my mission, when the first days in the field left me exhausted from mentally translating Spanish back into English. 

The rest of the Day of Rest was spent well, resting. Again, we hadn't planned it that way but it was just perfect. 

1 comment:

Laney said...

Church in a foreign country is so fabulous! I love the bright colors of the chairs and clothing.