This has been on my bucket list ever since we moved to Chicago. I love the scene from My Best Friend's Wedding where Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney take in the sights from a river tour and I've wanted to experience that myself. With Elizabeth and Vanessa in town, it was the perfect excuse to go.
The walk by the river was beautiful- and we weren't even on the boat yet!
We spotted this little alleyway on our way to the dock and I had to snap a picture. It reminds me of Coco and the colorful banner looked so festive! Elizabeth borrowed a top from Liesel and I think she blends right in.
Some individual pics as we headed out to Lake Michigan. You can see Trump Tower there in the background. After Trump slapped his name on the building with obnoxious 20ft letters, Mayor Rahm Emmanuel and city council quickly passed an ordinance banning any such sign in the future.
That slim, tall building on the left is the St. Regis and is the tallest structure in the world designed by a woman. You can see the "blow through" floor to keep the building from swaying too much in the wind.
I thought the heat and humidity would cool down a bit once we went out onto Lake Michigan but it was still hot and muggy. In spite of this, the girls really enjoyed going onto the main deck and snapping photos. Fair warning: they took lots of photos!
These three were fascinated by watching the boat dock.
More pictures by the river.
We learned the 4 stars in the Chicago flag stand for Fort, Fire, Fair and Fair. The first star commemorates Fort Dearborn . The second is represents the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The third star the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. Finally, the fourth star represents the Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933. This plaque is near the dock where we took the architecture tour.
But you get it, right?
Aye de mi- getting to lunch was a bit of a debacle. Finding parking in downtown Chicago is tricky and I have a handful of spots I know are almost always open. Our next stop was the Hancock Tower but when we talked about lunch, Liesel ruled out something nearby and then Vanessa noticed there was an Eataly. However, it was another mile walk and did I mention it was hot and humid out? I was kind of ready to kill Liesel for being such a pill and man, I let her know it.
We were all soaked with sweat by the time we got to Eataly but the lunch (which Vanessa graciously paid for) was phenomenal. Vanessa and I shared the Bruschetta alle Pesche e Ricotta: Summer peach marmellata, olive oil-whipped ricotta, basil, fennel pollen.
Butterfly:
Heart:
Ireland had her with some marinara sauce:
I know everyone makes a big deal of the Sears Tower, but I think this one has much better views:
OK, back story on this picture- the girls had brought their American Girl dolls along because we were headed there next. Turns out it was closed by the time we got there so it didn't work out but anyway, as I took this picture I had a little pile of their bags and dolls. In the corner, just to the right of Sydney was a family with a little girl who clearly had just bought an American Girl doll. While we sat on the benches and admired the views, she took the box out of the bag and angled it towards the girls like, "Look at me! I'm one of you! I have one too!" I pointed her out to the girls and suggested they go say hi, which they did. This girl just seemed so shy but she so clearly wanted to connect with them, it was adorable.
In line with Pride Month was this fabulous window display so Liesel shed her top to show off her swimsuit underneath.
From here we headed to Crowne Fountain to finally let the girls cool off! I think this was their favorite part of the day.
While the girls were enjoying themselves, our neighbor's dog (who Liesel was technically in charge of) got out when Brent was feeding him. He spent the rest of the day trying to track him down and Liesel was in tears because we had to call the family. Once I was home I helped Brent look until after midnight and the family cut their vacation short to look. We felt awful and I mean awful. I'd already been hard on Liesel and Brent was doubling down on her.
Last, last stop was the MOSI. We had tickets to the IMAX theater and briefly hit the highlights.
I always see something I've never noticed before and this time it was the cross-section of a ballet slipper. I can't believe how flimsy it looks!
Even though it was really late, we stopped by Portillo's for dinner. The line was unusually long and not moving very fast. Vanessa ordered a hot dog and couldn't find it in the sack so we waited while they made it up. While Liesel was handing out food, she found it at the very bottom and she said, "Oh no, Mom?" and then burst into tears. It had just been a DAY for the poor girl. I told her she wasn't in trouble and I hadn't ordered anything so I would eat it. She was just frazzled down to her very last nerve.
Haha- OK so that's not a view out the window but I still think it's a pretty cute perspective from the mirrored ceiling.
Not sure why I didn't get all the lettering in my photo- I think I was just exhausted by this time.
You get the idea- it's a really tall building!
From here we headed to Crowne Fountain to finally let the girls cool off! I think this was their favorite part of the day.
The spitting faces never gets old.
Even though it was really late, we stopped by Portillo's for dinner. The line was unusually long and not moving very fast. Vanessa ordered a hot dog and couldn't find it in the sack so we waited while they made it up. While Liesel was handing out food, she found it at the very bottom and she said, "Oh no, Mom?" and then burst into tears. It had just been a DAY for the poor girl. I told her she wasn't in trouble and I hadn't ordered anything so I would eat it. She was just frazzled down to her very last nerve.
It was quite a day but we hit a lot of the Chicago highlights and could relax a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment