After relaxing in San Simeon we headed out to visit Solvang so I could connect with my Danish roots. It was a charming village and I loved the names of the streets and even a place called Nielsen's! It all made me want to sing that Danish nursery rhyme my dad taught me once.

I was tempted to get Liesel this overalled jumper but decided against it since it was $42. I still think she would have looked dang cute with her red hair and blue eyes. But would she have looked a little strange wearing it at church? I can't decide.
We decided to try aebleskiver which is like a Danish pancake. They're round balls of dough with apple in it (hence the aeble part) fried and served with powdered sugar and jam. It was SO dang good! I'd like to learn how to make it but apparently you're supposed to cook them evenly by turning them over with a knitting needle? I think I'd need to see it done before attempting that.
All in all I feel like I connected with my Danish roots. I especially love the delf blue and crisp white look they have in their dishes and decorating. I'm imagining a Danish kitchen in my future... complete with a knitting needle :)
Liesel was a tad less enthused about it all:
After Solvang we headed south to finally, finally meet up with our BYU friends. As we neared L.A. of course we ran into traffic. Liesel was fit to be tied, thrashing about and screaming like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. I knew a huge part of it had to be dirty diaper. After a half an hour of that fun I took her out to do a quick change. Yes, we were just miles from our destination but sometimes you just can't take anymore, you know? I swiftly changed her on my lap in bumper to bumper L.A. traffic and just before I had the fresh one all buttoned up, she peed... A LOT... all over my lap. I have never been more desperate to get into a hotel room for a shower.
We settled in and everyone convened in the hot tub where we caught up and then went to dinner at Tony Roma's which was conveniently located next door. With conjoining htoel rooms we put all the kids down for the night and hung out in the next room. We laid out our Disneyland strategy and played Ticket to Ride. I wish I could say we partied all night but between kids, the exhausting trip down from San Fransisco and the peeing incident we were pretty spent. Besides, we needed our energy for our first day of Disneyland!
More photos here
4 comments:
lol i just want to kiss those little lips! anyway, i was excited to read about your abelskiever pancakes because i just inherited a syrup recipe with the same name. it's so great. very caramely. also, i'm with brent on the treacherous drives. the alpine loop makes me feel a bit pale in certain places.
I can't believe you went to Solvang!!!! That is where Michael Jackson lives, I'm so uber jeal!!
OK, this may seem a bit minor on the grand scale of exciting things on your post.......but.......YOU HAVE BANGS!!!!!!! When did this happen? You look fantabulous, as always!
I had the bangs cut just before this trip and LOVE them! When I bend down to pick up Liesel my hair doesn't get in my way but I can still grow it long the way I like. I honestly did it more for convenience sake but I'm finding I really like the look too. Everyone tells me I look younger which is an added bonus! Thanks for the compliment!
Post a Comment