Brent mentioned our plans to head west for vacation to a few co-workers. One of them kindly pointed out their company manages the Westin Long Beach and he might be able to stay there for free. Not only did we get to stay there for free, but we got an executive suite complete with fruit basket and ginormous flat-screen TV. It was perfect for a little family who just needed some downtime. We slept in, napped and went to bed early. On Friday we only left the hotel to walk down to the beach and let Liesel dip her little toes in the Pacific. We grabbed dinner at the Pollo Loco which was a nice walk from the hotel and then relaxed in the gorgeous pool and hot tub which we had all to ourselves.
Saturday morning we leisurely packed up our stuff for the last time. Brent and I both felt Boston calling and I think even Liesel was missing her routine. Nonetheless, it was our last day on vacation and we wanted to make the most of it. In my first area on the mission, the Griffith Observatory was almost always visible high on the hill. Unfortunately it was out of our area so I never had the chance to check it out. That coupled with the fact it's free made it priority #1 on this trip. We found amazing views of the city and Hollywood Hills. Liesel was fascinated by the large pendulum which swings because of the rotation of the earth. Walking around the lovely grounds built up a good appetite for lunch.
I was so excited take my little family to El Tepeyac which is in East L.A.. Bren
t had actually gone once before when he was in town on a business trip. He was already familiar with their delicious authentic Mexican food. Even though I knew I'd never finish it, I ordered the Hollenbeck burrito for old time's sake. As a missionary we did our service at the Hollenbeck rest home which is just beautiful. I took Brent to the huge cemetery I'd taken my companions to. We weren't allowed to return to our apartment during proselyting hours (mission rule) but every now and again we needed to eat somewhere with peace and quiet. Then I took Brent and Liesel through an abbreviated tour of my old area. It's cleaned up a bit but it still smells and feels the same. Every few blocks had me telling a story I'd almost forgotten. I loved my mission and I still love those people. We're hoping to go to Guatemala next year to visit Brent's mission.
t had actually gone once before when he was in town on a business trip. He was already familiar with their delicious authentic Mexican food. Even though I knew I'd never finish it, I ordered the Hollenbeck burrito for old time's sake. As a missionary we did our service at the Hollenbeck rest home which is just beautiful. I took Brent to the huge cemetery I'd taken my companions to. We weren't allowed to return to our apartment during proselyting hours (mission rule) but every now and again we needed to eat somewhere with peace and quiet. Then I took Brent and Liesel through an abbreviated tour of my old area. It's cleaned up a bit but it still smells and feels the same. Every few blocks had me telling a story I'd almost forgotten. I loved my mission and I still love those people. We're hoping to go to Guatemala next year to visit Brent's mission. My dear friend Libby gave me the lowdown on the Fashion District before we went. I'm grateful for her advice because I found the most lovely dress for Liesel and was able to get it $10 cheaper because it was available at multiple shops. One of the shopkeepers was open to bartering while the other took one look at my white face and tried to charge me more. I probably wouldn't have been so annoyed were it not for the fact they'd been speaking in Spanish to a group of women shopping for a quincenera dress. They kept telling them how the unmarked dresses were on sale and they could give them an extra discount.
The day was drawing to a close and again Boston was calling. We drove by Disney Concert Hall which really is beautiful a
nd Venice Beach which really sort of isn't. On our way to the airport we stopped by Randy's Donuts and sampled the glazed. Perhaps it was the donut and perhaps it was just us but we didn't think they were anything to crow about. We returned the rental car and found our red-eye flight was delayed an hour. Liesel charmed everyone in the terminal as she crawled around in her pajamas, laughing and squealing at just about everything. She was an absolute doll on the flight home, only waking up once and even then only briefly. We fully intended to make our 1:30 PM church meeting but slept right through it. This trip gave us memories we will forever cherish. But there's just no place like home.
nd Venice Beach which really sort of isn't. On our way to the airport we stopped by Randy's Donuts and sampled the glazed. Perhaps it was the donut and perhaps it was just us but we didn't think they were anything to crow about. We returned the rental car and found our red-eye flight was delayed an hour. Liesel charmed everyone in the terminal as she crawled around in her pajamas, laughing and squealing at just about everything. She was an absolute doll on the flight home, only waking up once and even then only briefly. We fully intended to make our 1:30 PM church meeting but slept right through it. This trip gave us memories we will forever cherish. But there's just no place like home. More photos and video here
2 comments:
I am glad that you finsihed posting about your vacation. I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures and reading about what you did. There are quite a few really darling pictures of your family that you took. Looking at the pictures and reading about the great time you had is making me more excited to move there. I really wish I didn't see the picture of the Mullholland Dog, though. I LOVED it when I was there and seeing a picture of it only makes me want it more!
Loved all of the pics! I miss you guys so much already and wish we could go back...hmmm..maybe I will start planning our new adventure now to make me feel better :)
Post a Comment